Choosing when and where to retire is a complicated and personal decision. Many factors such as location, cost, and amenities make the choice a personal one for every individual. A growing number of residents are choosing a senior living community outside major cities like Hartford, so they can enjoy city and rural life simultaneously.
Why you should consider a retirement community outside Hartford, CT:
- Accessible travel: Hartford is Connecticut’s third largest city and boasts many opportunities unique to city life that can still be enjoyed without living in the city. Choosing a senior living community within an hour’s drive from Hartford enables residents to make the commute for shopping trips, medical appointments, or entertainment events and still enjoy the simpler life outside of the city. Living outside Hartford enables residents to enjoy the many benefits without any of the pesky consequences.
- Ocean access: Connecticut’s shoreline of beautiful beaches along the famous Long Island Sound is a short drive from The Overlook. Take a trip to any of the popular salt water outlets, enjoy an afternoon in the sun, or take a stroll along the beach front and be home in time for dinner. Live close enough to Hartford to learn the resident’s secrets regarding the best beaches and times to visit.
- Beautiful scenery: While many retirement communities boast sun and warmth in southern settings, choosing a retirement community near Hartford enables residents to enjoy all four distinct seasons with views that belong on a postcard or in a painting. Enjoy the spectacular setting of life on 450 acres in America’s beautiful backyard. (Note: The vibrant colors of autumn in New England are truly unmatched anywhere in the country. But don’t take our word for it – come see for yourself!)
- World-class Healthcare: In addition to taking advantage of a well-equipped retirement community’s on-site medical care, living right outside of Hartford affords its residents the chance to pursue any of Hartford’s vast and impressive preventive and curative medical practices. Schedule appointments with some of the world’s leading doctors and still enjoy the comfort of home in a single afternoon.
- Low crime: Life outside of large cities – including Hartford – tends to mean safer communities and less crime. In 2015, for instance, Charlton, MA, was named as one of the Safest Towns in Massachusetts! Settling in a retirement community close to Hartford creates the perfect combination of urban and rural living. Our close-knit community of friendly residents look out for each other’s safety and well-being. Feel better about traveling knowing your community will keep a vigilant watch in your absence.
- Leisure opportunities: Explore any of the vast destinations in Hartford, the city ranked #31 by U.S. News & World Report. Because Hartford is one of the oldest areas in the country, it offers many opportunities to see history up close. Visit art museums and literary hotspots. Tour the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe or Mark Twain. Travel down Main Street or to any of the historic districts. Take in a local performance or visit any of the many bustling galleries or nightclubs. Try any food your heart desires. Take visiting friends and family on any number of creative day trips. There is always something to do in or near Hartford.
- Enjoyable pace: In addition to the many exciting opportunities in the city, there are perks that come with living nearby in a smaller town. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of a fast-paced culture on occasion, but then come home to a relaxed environment.
- Educational opportunity: With some of the most impressive and prestigious schools in the country located in Connecticut, there are plenty of opportunities for personal growth and development in Hartford. Take an evening course or enjoy a visiting lecture at one of Hartford’s many schools. Improve your mind, learn a new subject or skill, or lend your own credibility to an educational discussion.
- Unique culture: Hartford is one of the most diverse cities to live, work, and play in the United States. The median age for residents is 40, and 15 percent of the city’s population is over 65. The growing immigrant population is bringing vibrant culture and tradition to the city, giving residents opportunities to taste and try new things. With a strong religious community representing a myriad of faiths, the culture is as diverse as it is delightful.
- Mass transit: Living so close to the city enables residents to travel to Hartford to take any means of transportation for travel. With easy access to airports, train stations, and public transportation, you can get anywhere in the world at a moment’s notice. Especially if you have family living around the country, it is convenient to have access to multiple means of travel for pre-planned or post-haste visits. And anyone can come visit you!
Choosing a retirement community requires careful thought and consideration regarding a wide number of variables Deciding on the right location can mean some of the best years of life. No matter where you go, be certain to choose a retirement community that warmly welcomes you and provides you with opportunities to enjoy your retirement years to the fullest.
At The Overlook, we believe retirement should offer the best of both worlds. With a breathtaking New England landscape and a vibrant, active community, you can have your cake and eat it, too. We’re certain one of our cottages or our apartment options will be the perfect spot to call home. Contact us today for more information or to schedule a tour – we’d love to show you around our stunning campus.