Masonic Health System of Massachusetts (MHS) and its subsidiary organizations have as part of their mission to be good neighbors and benefit the society of Central Massachusetts. The residents and staff of The Overlook, a vibrant senior community managed by MHS, have embraced this mission with creativity and impact. Below are just some of the ways that MHS, its subsidiary organizations, staff, and the residents at The Overlook give back to the community.
The organizations of MHS include: The Overlook (independent living, skilled nursing, memory care and short-term rehabilitative services), Overlook Care at Home (home care, private duty care, hospice and palliative care services) and Overlook CARE (geriatric care management and referral services). You can download this as a PDF by clicking here.
The Masonic Health System
- Provides $9.4 million in free and subsidized care each year across the continuum.
- Donated approximately 5 acres of land for the Charlton Police Department as well as land in the center of town for housing and a portion of the cemetery.
- Annually donates more than $5,000 in waived room fees, catering labor and AV services to local community and non-profit events for the police department, fire department, Charlton Baptist Church, Harrington Physicians and REAS, a local fuel assistance program.
- Gave more than 200 refurbished laptops to the Laptops for KidZ project; the computers are provided to children served by the Masonic Angel Fund chapters throughout Massachusetts.
- Hosts a variety of community events, such as the annual puppet show, Charlton Fourth of July Fireworks celebration and the Charlton Old Home Days on Labor Day. It also hosted a 250th anniversary for the town of Charlton in 2005 and has held a Grand Master’s Fair on campus for more than 35 years.
Here are just some of the ways in which The Overlook, Residents and Staff give back to the community:
- The Overlook offers low-cost meals to local seniors on Fridays, when the Charlton Town Hall and the Senior Center are closed.
- The Overlook Community Fitness Center sponsors an annual health fair, balance screenings, fall prevention and other wellness programs for senior centers and Councils on Aging across Worcester County.
- Staff and residents of The Overlook conduct food drives to benefit Chip In, the Charlton food pantry.
- Residents have produced 4,626 quilts to give to Project Linus, a charity that provides them to hospitalized children. The Overlook donated the batting for the quilts.
- The Silver Knitters at Overlook were recognized by the Harrington Health Care System for volunteering 35,000 hours in creating sets for newborns as well as lap robes for the Cancer Center.
- Health Center residents at The Overlook use their own Make-A-Wish program funds to supply charitable organizations with needed supplies and other donations.
- More than 500 pounds of fresh produce from The Overlook garden was donated to
Chip In during 2013 and 2014.
- Independent Living residents at The Overlook raised $2,200 in 2014 to benefit Chip In.
- The community donates worn linens from its dining rooms to a local animal shelter
to be used in cages to make soft beds for the animals.
Overlook Care at Home
- Provides blood pressure, flu and immunization and medication management clinics to seniors in Central Massachusetts, Southeastern Massachusetts and Cape Cod.
- Participates in and sponsors health fairs throughout the year across its service area.
- Partners with the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Services, allowing student nurses in Hingham, New Bedford, Charlton and Northampton to shadow professionals in the field.
- Received a Mass Technology grant to partner with Harrington Hospital to reduce readmissions to the hospital.
- The Hingham branch of Overlook Care at Home sponsors emergency meals for South Shore Elder Services.
- The Charlton branch of Overlook Care at Home sponsors a monthly Parkinson’s support group.
- Overlook Hospice partnered with Quilts of Valor to provide more than a dozen quilts to veterans receiving hospice care.
- The Overlook Hospice administrator serves on the Board of the Hospice and Palliative Care Federation of Massachusetts.
- Overlook Hospice sponsors bereavement support groups in Charlton.
- Overlook Hospice partnered with the Charlton-Dudley school district to raise over $15,000 for Honor Flight New England.
- Overlook Hospice Services provided more than 4,400 hours of volunteer service in 2013 and 2014.
- Provided over 65 in-service programs to staff at various elder care organizations, senior centers and health providers for Continuing Education credits.
- Sponsors many support groups, including groups for Caregivers, and for those that struggle with Hoarding.
- Overlook CARE’s vice president of care management and executive director of care management have served on many voluntary boards and committees including the National Association of Geriatric Care Managers New England Chapter, the Massachusetts Guardian Association and the Scituate Council on Aging.
InfoSource, a free information and referral line, is covered by the trained geriatric care managers of Overlook CARE. InfoSource helps families with questions about care for their at-risk elders, and served more than 600 families across Massachusetts in 2013-2014.